We know WHAT to do, WHAT to eat, where we often get stuck is the HOW. Read along for 6 tips towards the HOW's of change. Create the time and you create the opportunity!
1) Identify the WHAT: What do you want more of in your life? Health, wellness, energy, fun, confidence, passion, fitness, strength, creativity, joy, balance. Identify your what and write down three things you would like to experience more of. To strengthen the presence of your goals, say them out load, write them down, write them on sticky notes, set reminders in your phone. Remember it took years for your current habits to form and it will take time to create new ones. You have the answers of what you want to do, it takes time and some planning to develop the HOW and create openings to access those WHATS!
2) Develop a game plan: Take 30 min during your weekend and develop a game plan for the week. Get out some pen and paper and write down your general daily schedule. Make a note during each part of your day what your mood is on a scale of 1-10. 10 being happy and joyful and 1, not so much. Next think about your priorities and what you would like to experience more of. Making steps towards change is simply creating the time and space for change to happen. Now create your new daily schedule and factor in time for new habits. Small windows of time will create openings for change. If you are awake from 9 am to 9 pm, you have 720 minutes! Dedicate minutes to improving your wellness, 5 minutes increments or 60. For example, 5 minutes of breathing, stretching or listening to calming music will have a positive impact on your mood and ability to cope with your day. Weave in 20 minutes of exercise. 30 minutes of time to read, craft, color, anything that brings you joy. Now just practice! Note your mood again on a scale of 1-10 throughout the day with your new schedule.
3) Create new pathways for success: Our brains are creatures of habit. When new experiences are connected to positive emotions our brains light up and new pathways are created. Take time to notice your emotions and awareness of how your body is reacting to new experiences. Are you noticing more calm? Are you more present? Are you able to enjoy your daily experiences? Use the power of positive thinking and reinforce your new habits with positive thinking and awareness.
4) Piggy back on existing habits: Tie a new habit to an existing routine for improved success. For example, start the day with a glass of water. Keep it next to your bed and when you turn your alarm off, drink the water.
5) Thoughts: our brain can be our greatest support and our biggest enemy. Awareness of your negative thoughts and the reactions, as well as emotions that are triggered are vital aspects to making change. You will naturally create barriers to change as change can feel like swimming up stream, it is much easier to maintain the norm. HOW you talk to yourself and state your goals will impact your behaviors and outcomes. For example, if your interested in losing weight the statement " I need to lose weight" may feel defeating and overwhelming with no certainty as to small attainable steps towards that goal. The statement " how can I pay more attention to what my body needs" opens up opportunity for success and a positive perspective to care for your body.
6) Positive thinking: While working towards change, be kind to yourself. Start where you are and even in that space find something to be grateful for. Focus on the strengths of your body. What can you appreciate now, today, in this moment.
Interested in learning more and developing a game plan together? I would love to work with you towards your comprehensive health and wellness!
For more nutrition, health, fitness, mental health and wellness info contact me by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested in an integrative health approach? Check us out at SageMED.co to learn more about our amazing team and schedule today, 425-679-6056.
Marrie is a therapist, trainer, and health and wellness coach. She is passionate about preventative care, wellness and living a healthy, active, happy and balanced life.