From a young age we learn habits that benefit our physical health. We teach kids to take the time to brush their teeth, at least twice a day. Parents and teachers take time to teach hand washing habits. At a young age, when kids have a cut, they know what do. They get a band aid, wash the cut, and sometimes even ask for help from a trusted adult. What about when we are anxious or feeling sad? Do we learn how to care for our emotional health? Or are we told to "shake it off." Read on for 5 tools that take only 2 MINUTES EACH to develop your emotional first aid kit. Create these habits to care for your emotional health, just as you care for your physical health.
Our minds are a precious gift and can be our greatest asset and at times are worst enemy. Our mind is sometimes more like a moody friend, supportive one minute and not so much the next. Our minds have a natural tendency towards the negative and to get stuck on failures. Create time every day to focus on thought patterns and build the muscles of our positive neuro pathways. Make the choice to care for your emotions, it's an important habit for your health and wellness!
2 MINUTE TOOLS
1) Positive mind set: take 2 minutes.. yes just 2 minutes out of the 1,440 minutes in your day to focus on positive thoughts. For 60 seconds focus on positive self traits or positive things in your life. Take the next 60 seconds to say a positive statement to yourself, be kind to yourself! Stop the record of the negative thoughts.
2) Distraction: 2 minutes is long enough to distract your mind and change the gears of an anxious or negative thought. Play a game, get up and do 10 jumping jacks, color, talk to a friend. Break the cycle of ruminating thoughts.
3) Gratitude: Stop and think 2 things you are thankful for today and 2 things you are looking forward to tomorrow.
4) Mindfulness: Distract negative or anxious thoughts by focusing on the present moment. Take 60 seconds to just breath. What do you hear? smell? feel? see? Focus for 60 seconds on only your senses.
5) Connection: reach out to a friend, partner or co worker. Humans by nature seek connection and being connected is a protective factor in maintaining good mood health.
Adding a minute or two of positive emotional health strategies will begin to crowd out the negative. Lets work together to build your emotional muscle and health! For more emotional health, wellness, nutrition and fitness info contact me by email email@example.com. Interested in an integrative health approach? Check us out at SageMED.co to learn more about our amazing team and schedule today, 425-679-6056.
Marrie is a therapist, trainer, and health and wellness coach. She is passionate about preventative care, wellness and living a healthy, active, happy and balanced life.